Sunday, March 20, 2011

Running

In my last post I promised an account of going running with Danny. So, last Monday we had really beautiful weather and it was the first day after the end of Day Light Savings, so it was light later than usual in the afternoon. Danny came home from work and asked if I’d like to go running with him. My first reaction was “YES!”, but then I quickly backtracked with a “What do we do with the kids?”. He just looked at me and said we’ll put them in the stroller.
Duh.
We were given a very nifty double stroller by our wonderful friends. We also still have our original running stroller, so we ended up putting the blobster in one and the sweet pea in the other so both of us had something to push. However, I got many weird looks while I pushed the sweet pea because she fits under the seat on top, so it looked like I was pushing an empty stroller. I even had one older lady tell me that I was missing something. Which is actually a valid concern when you are dealing with a chronically sleep-deprived mother of small children.
Anyway, Danny and I had a nice run. Well, a slow jog. With some walking. I was breathing hard, sweating, and panting, but I don't think Danny broke a sweat. BUT we got out and did it, which hasn’t happened in a very long time. I hope we will have many more such activities. And as I do it more I hope to increase my speed and distance. Next time we will put both kids in the double stroller and Danny can push them both. And run circles around me. 
See, I like to think of myself as a runner, but the actual truth is that I do very little running, especially since I became pregnant with the blobster over 2 years ago. But before I was pregnant I did 2 triathlons and enjoyed the training. I was definitely in the best shape of my life. But I still didn’t run very much. A 5K was about all I can handle, which doesn’t really put me in the category of a runner. But it is a start. 

1 comment:

Jen Kent said...

Guess who else is starting to run. I know...it boggles the mind. Started 5K training last week. We'll see. So far, I've run all the parts I've been supposed to run. As the running sections get longer and walking sections get shorter, we'll see what happens. I'm pretty determined though.