Friday, July 22, 2011

Baby's first meal

This week the Sweet Pea had her first "solid food". (Incidentally I know several people who call it people food...as though otherwise babies are eating nonpeople food - what, like dog food?? who knows) Anyway...
I'm not sure she knew what to do with what I was putting in her mouth. Most of the food ended up on her face, bib, and washcloth. But it was kind of fun to try something new.

I have chosen to start my children with meat (specifically chicken) for their first food. My pediatrician pointed me in this direction and after some internet research I decided this would be a good approach for me. There are so many different ways to go when feeding babies, (fruits, veggies, cereal, meat...) and I don't think there is really a right or a wrong way, but many people get very passionate about it. There are LOTS of books about it. LOTS of websites. LOTS of experts weighing in with their opinions. But at the end of the day, babies all eat something and we all seem to be okay regardless of what it was. What did they do 200 years ago when there wasn't someone telling mothers what to do at each phase of their babies development??

I also make my own baby food. I have found it is so easy and a lot less expensive. I love having a freezer full of things for my baby to eat. I have already started to puree some things that she will eat later. Berries were on sale last week so I took advantage and did a batch of them. I'll do some zucchini from our garden soon. For my birthday, Goatee Man bought me a really nice food processor. It makes pureeing food sooo much faster. (I used my blender to make food for the Blobster). So I put in an hour of work and get enough baby food for a month or so. Easy.

No comments: