Saturday, May 14, 2011

Diapering in the Dark


Isn’t that a song? Oh wait…it’s Dancing in the Dark. That’s different.
I have recently moved the Sweet Pea into the Blobster’s room. She now has the big crib because her feet were hitting the end of the bassinet. And that means we had to get a new bed for the Blobster. He loves having a ‘big boy’ bed.

Here we are reading before bedtime on the Blobster's new bed. It is a bunk bed which will come in handy when the Sweet Pea outgrows the crib. 

But now that they are together in the same room it means that I’m going in there to feed and change Sweet Pea in the middle of the night. In an effort to not wake up the Blobster, I don’t turn on the light. Let’s face it, I don’t want to wake up any more than I have to either. The nursing part is mostly up to Sweet Pea…all I have to do is sit there and burp her when she is done. So that is easily done in the dark, but the diapering part is all up to me. As much as I wish she could climb up onto the changing table and do it herself, somehow I just don’t think that is going to happen. Sigh...
So I have a method to diapering and follow the same pattern every time so that I can pretty much do it with my eyes closed. I mean, come on, I’ve been doing it for 2 years; I should be pretty good at it by now.
Undo the millions of snaps on her sleeper. Undo the velcro on the cover, undo the Snappi – put it in the same spot as usual so I can find it again, put the dirty diaper in the pail, new diaper on – twisted just so and folded down, Snappi on, new cover on. 
Redo all the millions of snaps on the sleeper

So now I’m sneaking around diapering in the dark. Oh, and the Blobster still wakes up.
Here is a picture of what he should be doing... sleeping.

Some crazy math… let’s say I’ve changed an average of 7 diapers per day for 25 months. That’s 5,250 diapers. And that doesn’t take into account the 12+ diapers a day for a newborn or the overlap of diapering when I had 2 kids in diapers before the Blobster potty trained. That sure makes me glad we are using cloth diapers. If we had used disposables we would have spent over $1,800 so far. It’s hard to say how much all our cloth diapers cost because most of them were generously given to us by family and friends, but my estimate is about $600-$700. And now that Sweet Pea is reusing the same diapers we got for the Blobster, we are saving even more. 
And they are really cute. I’m just sayin’
These are her colorful diaper covers

1 comment:

Jen Kent said...

such a sweet picture of him sleeping.