Friday, July 30, 2010

Hiking

I love hiking but I rarely take the opportunity to do it. I recently read an article about a mother who hikes with her children every day. I don't think I will be doing that, but I can easily go hiking more often with just Gage. So this week I grabbed Gage and his backpack carrier and went to Cheyenne Canyon for a short hike. It was really fun, but hard. Gage weighs over 20 lbs and the pack isn't light. Then I had to bring my camera, snacks, water, etc...making the pack 40 lbs? That was a lot to carry on my back for the first hike in a long time.
I forget sometimes how good the forest smells. And the sounds of birds, wind in the trees, and my feet on the gravel. I grew up in these hills and I love the opportunity to teach my son about nature and being outdoors. Right now he is mostly interested in playing with rocks, but he also stops to listen to birds. So where will we go on our next hike?

No comments: